I like to find and capture scenes which evoke a mood or a strong sense of place or of time. I try to include evidence of different human experiences, feelings and values.
My intaglio etchings and relief prints begin as drawings or photomontages that I combine, manipulate, and abstract so that they become less specific and bit more symbolic.
My Myths and Metaphors series, as the name implies, focuses on legends, myths, and stories that people have used to describe abstract ideas in more familiar ways. Most have two or more layers. A subject layer and a background context are etched into metal plates (one for each color) and hand printed in intaglio fashion.
Contemporary prints focus on contemporary scenes, issues and topics. Again I try to portray the traditions or the zeitgeist of the scene within the feelings of the work.
Relief Prints are produced by rolling the ink onto the surface of a carved wood or linoleum block before pressing it onto paper.
My Intaglio Etchings are works where the image is etched into a solar plate and inked into the recesses and off of the relief surfaces to produce an intaglio print on dampened paper.
I have been a member and exhibitor of the following Galleries and Art Groups:
- Gallery 75 – Art League Gallery – Alexandria, Virginia
- Washington Printmakers Gallery – Georgetown, DC
- Capitol Hill Art League – Washington DC
- Artists’ Lofts – Round Hill, Virginia
- Loudoun County Artisan Trail
Additionally, I have been exhibiting my work in juried exhibitions in Washington Metropolitan area at places like:
- Art at the Mill – Millwood, VA
- Art in City Hall – Alexandria, VA [Best in Show – Fall 2010]
- Athenaeum Gallery – Alexandria, VA
- Capitol Hill Arts Workshop – Washington, DC
- Circle Gallery – Annapolis, MD
- Delaplaine Arts Center – Frederick, MD
- District Arts — Fredrick, MD
- Dumbarton Concert Gallery – Georgetown, DC
- Franklin Park Arts Center- Purcellville, VA
- Gallery Underground – Crystal City, VA
- Glen Echo Park — Glen Echo, MD
- Hill Center – Washington, DC
- Target Gallery — Alexandria, VA
- Touchstone Gallery – Washington D.C.
- Virginia Beach Art Center – Virginia Beach, VA
- VMRC – Harrisonburg, VA
- Waddell Gallery – Sterling, VA
- Western Loudoun Artist Studio Tour
All works are limited editions made with archival materials.
You can visit me at my studio at the Artists’ Loft or contact me through our contact page.